Strategic Planning, Business Planning, Board Retreats, Workshop Facilitation
nLIVEn provides a range of strategic facilitation services designed to assist boards, business owners and leadership teams. We have extensive experience in assisting individuals and teams translate their vision, aspirations and intentions into plans and programs of activities that assist organisations adapt to change by driving innovation.
Plans don’t have to be long to be great. One to five pages can contain all of the essential elements you need to tell your employees , board of directors, potential partners or banker where you are taking your business and how you are going to get there.
For most people, the word “strategic” brings up a whole range of associations. However, the reality is, most managers who get promoted to leadership positions receive little – if any – training in strategic planning. As a result, they are likely to experience many years of confusion and frustration as they struggle to govern their organisations wisely by adapting to change.
People and teams often avoid planning as it involves confronting uncertainty. We don’t know what will actually happen in the future so how can we commit ourselves to a plan?
Part of leadership involves declaring the future: making what is uncertain, more certain. The future is partly an extrapolation of the past but also involves envisioning the future, free from the constraints of both the past and our current reality. This involves a two-fold process: of both sense making and sense giving.
Strategizing is a fundamental skill for success, both in business and equally importantly in life.
- Strategic Plans: a strategic plan needs to address and align three important time horizons: long-term, medium-term and short-term.
- Business Plans: a business plan covers only one time horizon: short-term.
These time horizons will vary, depending on the size and complexity of the business. The leadership team needs to define each horizon for their business, so there is a shared understanding and agreement.
We tailor a solution to the individual requirements of each client through a three step collaborative approach:
- Discovering what outcomes a client is trying to achieve.
- Designing a solution that matches available resources (in terms of time and money the client would like to invest, e.g. 2 x half day sessions, 1-2 days workshops, offsite retreats of 3-5 days) through a briefing session/s with key stakeholders.
- Developing the agenda, preparation materials, file sharing platform and understanding of the process that the sponsor has in order to support the facilitation of a client’s desired outcomes. This may also include preparing the facilities and stationery requirements for the team to work together in one or more environments.
- Delivering the workshop sessions, managing the timeline and overseeing the drafting, editing, packaging and publishing of documentation that captures the outputs from the process with multiple audiences and applications in mind.
If you are ready to take a more strategic and professional approach to crafting strategy and plans within your business, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss how we could assist with enlivening your organisation.